SENCO and SEN Staff
Our SENCO is Susan Simon.
More details of the SENCO’s role can be found in the SEN Policy which can be found in the School Polices section of our website.
The team also includes staff trained in Elklan, Makaton, Supporting Children on the Autistic Spectrum and the Restorative Approach.
External Specialists and Other Bodies
The school enjoys good working relationships with a wide range of people who provide services to children with SEND and their families.
The external specialists may:
- Act in an advisory capacity
- Extend expertise of school staff
- Provide additional assessment
- Support a child directly
- Suggest statutory assessment is advisable
- Consult with all parties involved with the child
- Durham County Council Local Offer
- Durham SEND Information, Advice and Support Service
- Educational Psychology Consultants
- Speech and Language Therapy Consultants
How we secure specialist expertise
We allocate funds from our budget, or through our Community of Learning to secure this specialist advice.
Sometimes this funding is used to train staff in specialist skills eg using PECs cards, supporting children with social and communication difficulties or developing speech and language skills.
This training is used to support children and young people with SEND through individual work or group interventions.
If a child has complex special educational needs, we could also receive additional staffing through the LA Outreach pool staff or adapt our own staffing provision.